Policy

Please read Coco-Morocco’s payment and cancellation policy below. Feel free to contact us with any concerns or questions.    

       

Payment Policy    

After a confirmation has been emailed to you, a non-refundable deposit of 30% is required within 2 days to secure your reservation. The remainder of the payment, 70%, is due within 4 weeks from the start date of the Tour or Retreat.

Payments will be made either through bank transfer or a (secure PayPal invoice)* (3% fee will be added to final amount). If you wish to pay via another option, please let us know and we will be happy to try and accommodate your needs.    

                 

Cancellations    

"Cancellation is defined as not attending your scheduled and paid for (whether deposit or in full) Coco-Morocco Tour or Retreat, including postponements and/or rescheduling. We understand things can happen, so please read through this policy before making and paying for your holiday through COCO-Morocco. We highly recommend travel insurance to protect yourself against unforeseen events.    

             

Guest Cancellation Policy    

Coco-Morocco does not offer cash or credit card refunds under any circumstances.

A percentage of your payment may be returned (minus bank fees) or can be used as credit for a future tour or retreat within 12 months of your original booking. Another alternative is to transfer your credit, to another guest within 12 months of your cancellation. Please notify us in this case.

   

Depending on when you cancel, certain fees may apply.    

  • if you cancel 45 or more days before your holiday start date, 60% (minus deposit) will be refunded (minus fees ) or applied as credit to another COCO-Morocco Tour or Retreat (or transferred to another guest)

  • if you cancel 15-44 days before your holiday start date, 40% ( minus deposit) will be refunded (minus fees) or applied as credit to another COCO-Morocco Tour or Retreat (or transferred to another guest)

  • if you cancel 14 days or less before your Tour or Retreat start date, your entire payment is non-refundable. Unfortunately, there are no exceptions to our cancellation and reservation policy.

 We do not offer credit or partial refunds if you arrive to the scheduled holiday late or need to leave early.    

 

Coco-Morocco Cancellation    

I an unlikely case, Coco-Morocco must cancel or change a scheduled retreat (political unrest, unsafe conditions), you may transfer your full payment to another holiday within one year or request a refund. COCO-Morocco is not responsible for any external expenses incurred in preparation for any canceled holiday including airline tickets, loss of work or any other costs associated in preparing for the trip.    

This is why we recommend purchasing travel insurance and encourage our clients to purchase “cancel for any reason” to protect them against the rare chance of cancellation. This is stated before filling out our Reservation Form to understand our policy.    

       

Coco-Morocco’s Liability        

By signing up for a Tour or Retreat  I acknowledge that participation in Coco-morocco’s Tour or Retreat or any other voluntary activity during the holiday exposes me to a possible risk of personal injury. I am fully aware of this risk and hereby release Coco-Morocco, Marlène Pauly and / or any other persons who may teach with Coco-Morocco, from any and all liability, negligence, or other claims.

I understand that Coco-Morocco has stated that Travel insurance is recommended.

Important Notice

Coco-Morocco is part of Mogador Home Resort SARL. Any mentioning of the name Coco-Morocco will be read as Mogador Home Resort SARL.

* We are working on this implementing it withing the Moroccan Bank wiring system.